Thursday, October 13, 2011

P is for Pumpkin!


Yesterday was quite hectic so I'm posting a little late. Better late than never!

Our theme this week was Pumpkins! I set up plastic pumpkin trick or treat buckets around the room and put some pumpkin window clings on the window. The kids had fun pointing them out!

The first story of the day was The Pumpkin Fair by Eve Bunting. This book has a great flow to it!

Our song for the day was Ten Little Pumpkins to the tune of Ten Little Indians. Parents love it because they know the tune and they can follow along. Kids love to count on their fingers and can easily learn the tune if they haven't heard it before. Plus it can be adapted to almost ANY theme! Love it!

The second story was Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell. This one is short and sweet. The kids liked pointing out the apples in pumpkins in all the pictures.


                                     
The flannel board for the day was called Five Little Pumpkins. I'll be posting the rhyme I did since it is different than a lot of the versions I have previously heard. The kids really seemed to enjoy this one but once again I'll explain more in the flannel board story post.

Our craft was easy but turned out so cute. I printed an outline of a pumpkin I found online  Here is a picture of the finished product. I cut different sizes of tissue paper instead of using pumpkin seeds( for the kids I made some that were a lot bigger than mine. This allowed for easier application for the little ones and the caregivers could talk to the child about the difference between the sizes.) and they applied them where they had put  a little bit of glue from the glue stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment