Thursday, October 13, 2011

It's a Cat in the Hat Pumpkin!

My library is holding their second annual staff pumpkin decorating contest. All the patrons get to see them on display and vote for their favorites. The winner is announced during our big combined Halloween story time.

Since this is my first year I have my fingers crossed that i'll knock out the competition. For my entry I made the Cat in the Hat with Thing 1 and Thing 2. The cat is a real pumpkin and the things are fake ones just because they were the right size. I used felt, acrylic paint, and a boa from the dollar store. The whole thing was free handed.

Enough yapping, here are the pictures!

Ignore the mess and the almost empty bottle of Dr. Pepper. A girl gets thirsty when she is crafting it up!


Before the hat.
I hope you enjoy my pumpkin! If anyone has any questions about how I did any part of this just let me know!


On Display:

5 comments:

  1. How did you do it? I was looking at making a cat in the hat pumpkin for my daughter's class and you did a wonderful job! Where did you buy all your supplies and where did you start? I'm assuming you can get the supplies at Michael's or any craft store. I'm not the most artistic person so it's going to be a challenge for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the hat on hand from a press kit we had gotten before I came to this branch. The ears and bowties are made out of felt. I just kind of made it up as I went along and adjusted where need be. The whiskers are pipe cleaners. The ears, bowtie, hat, and whiskers were all glued on with hot glue. I do remembering stuffing the hat with newspaper so it would stand up straight. I believe the paint is acrylic. I looked at a picture while making it and free handed it. You can pick up all these supplies from any craft store. Good luck! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your response! I'm going to start shopping for supplies today. I hope you don't mind me making my pumpkin just like your's! It's brilliant!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I believe I used acrylic. I think spray paint might work better as it might not chip as much but that is what I had on hand.

      Delete