Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ahoy Mateys: It's a Pirate! Story Time

Ahoy, Ahoy! We be having a fantastic time at story time today! Yo ho ho and a sippy cup of milk as I always say!

As you can tell, our story time featured pirates today. I have been anxiously awaiting this one since I decided on it in August.

Yeah, I made that sweet pirate bunting.  Also you can see the awesome pirate hat we made for our craft today!


First story of the day is Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel where the captain decides "R" is not enough.

Then we sang If you're a pirate and you know it. I made sure to write this out on a giant yellow pad to help the parents with the lyrics. Although the tune is familiar, I find the parents are more likely to join in if they have a visual aid.

If you’re a Pirate and You Know It

If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck,
(Swish, swish)
If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck,
(Swish, swish)
If you’re a pirate and you know it, then you’ll hear the sea winds blowin,
If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck,
(Swish, swish)
Verses two and three:
If you’re a pirate and you know it, walk the plank
(Stomp, stomp)
If you’re a pirate and you know it, say ahoy.
(Ahoy!)
You can see the yellow pad I used in this photo.

Second story up is Bubble Bath Pirates by Jarrett Krosoczka.

For our flannel board story today we had Five Pirates on A Treasure Chest.

Probably my favorite part about the entire story time was getting to see the toddler's in their own pirate hats! I found the pattern here. From there I cut out all the shapes and did an outline of yarn on them to give them a pirate feel. I cut up strips of poster board for the band. All the kiddos have to do is glue on their teddy bear crossbones and then the caregivers and Miss Megan can staple the band and construction paper hat together. I rocked my own version for the story time.

No comments:

Post a Comment