Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Now I Know My ABC's!

Today we read about the alphabet!

First story up was the classic, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! By Bill Martin Jr. Always a hit! I even saw one of the little ones wiggle waggling when the letter did!

We had a good crowd this morning so we launched right into the next book Click Clack Quackety Quack By Doreen Cronin. Since this once is short I tried to point different items on the page or add a funny sound here and there.

Next we sang the Alphabet song while I pointed out the ABCs on the boarxd. I just typed them up in publisher and made a poster. Although, I do have to admit I felt silly that I didn't notice until AFTER story time started that I had forgot the K. Boy, was my face red but noone seemed to notice thank goodness. Next time I will definitely have someone ELSE proofread!

Final story of the day was Old Black Fly by Jim Aylesworth. For some reason I was worried this one wouldn't go over well but the toddlers were entranced by this one. Everytime I would tell say the "Shoo fly! Shoo fly! Shooo!" part one little girl would say it too and had the whole group cracking up!

We did one last song for the day:

A B C Tumble down D
Cat's in the cupboard
And can't see me
(play peek-a-boo)
A B C Tumble down D
Cat's in the cupboard
And can't see me
(play peek-a-boo)

I said the rhyme once while demonstrating and then had everyone do it with me.

Today's craft was found on The Crafting Chicks Blog: Mini "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" Trees
If you scroll down to the bottom of the post you will see the instructions. The only difference on my version was that I stapled the paper on beforehand and it doesn't mention it out right but you need to cut a slit on the leaves so they can slide onto the tube. I found foam letters in the dollar store!

No comments:

Post a Comment